The Unknown Byproduct of Acid Neutralizers: Hard Water
Installing an acid neutralizer that uses natural calcite filtration is a common solution for correcting acidic water in homes. However, this process can inadvertently lead to hard water due to limestone deposits from the filtration process. We're going to explore the issues caused by hard water, how water softeners can alleviate these problems, and why your home would benefit from having one.
Understanding the Link Between Acid Neutralizers and Hard Water
Acid neutralizers work by filtering acidic water through calcite, a natural limestone media, effectively raising the pH of the water and neutralizing it. However, during this process they can deposit a significant amount of calcium into the water supply. This increase in calcium can lead to hard water, which is characterized by high mineral content, particularly calcium and magnesium.
Common Problems Caused by Hard Water
- Scale Build-up: Accumulation of minerals on appliances, pipes, and fixtures. Removing these white scale stains requires frequent use of strong chemicals, which is time consuming, costly, and frustrating to deal with.
- Reduced Appliance Efficiency: Hard water can shorten the lifespan of water-using appliances, resulting in expensive repairs and maintenance costs.
- Detergent Ineffectiveness: Hard water reduces the efficacy of soaps and detergents, resulting in wasting more product and a poor lather.
- Skin and Hair Issues: It can cause dry skin and hair due to excess mineral deposits, this can exacerbate dry skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis.
How Water Softeners Provide a Solution
Water softeners address hard water issues by removing excess minerals through an ion-exchange process. This process swaps calcium and magnesium ions in hard water with sodium ions, resulting in softer water that is kinder to appliances, more effective with soaps, and gentler on skin and hair.
The Importance of Installing a Water Softener
Incorporating a water softener into your home water system, especially when using an acid neutralizer, is crucial for several reasons:
- Protects Appliances: Softeners prevent scale buildup, enhancing appliance longevity.
- Improves Water Quality: They enhance the overall quality of water for daily use.
- Economic Savings: Softeners reduce long-term repair and maintenance costs, along with wasting less time and money with scale stains and poorly lathering cleaning products.
- Better Quality of Life: They contribute to a more comfortable and healthy living environment.
Conclusion: Our Recommended Approach
We've been helping customers deal with both acidic and hard water for close to 30 years now, and have found the perfect combination leaving both customers and their homes healthy and happy. The Clack 5600SXT Non Backwashing Acid Neutralizer paired with the Fleck 5600SXT Deluxe Water Softener package fits homes of any size and resolve their acidic and hard water woes.
We're Here To Help You
Don't hesitate to seek professional assistance when needed. Our experts at Mid Atlantic Water have been helping customers make the right choice for their home's water problems for nearly 30 years. If you have any questions on which water filtration system is right for your home, we're here to help. Contact us however you'd like:
- Text us at 443-277-2204
- Give us a call at 800-460-5810
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.