Dealing with Iron in Your Water: Problems, Tests, and Solutions
Identifying the Signs of Iron
Iron in your household water can manifest in several ways. Staining on your sinks and fixtures, metallic taste, and rusty-colored water are common signs. Such indications should prompt immediate attention as they hint at a higher iron content in your water supply. The higher the content of iron in your water, the more important it is too quickly fix the problem.
Problems Caused by Iron in Your Water Supply
- Staining: Iron can lead to stains on your sinks, bathtubs, and other plumbing fixtures, creating an unsightly appearance.
- Appliance Damage: Excessive iron can damage household appliances such as washing machines and dishwashers by creating scale and clogs.
- Health Implications: Iron in water may cause skin problems and hair loss. While not harmful in moderate amounts, excessive iron can be a concern.
- Metallic Taste: Water contaminated with iron often has a metallic taste, making it unpleasant for drinking and cooking.
- Laundry Issues: Iron can stain clothing, leaving behind orange or brown spots that can ruin fabrics.
Testing Your Water for Iron
- Local Store Kits: Many home improvement stores offer iron test kits. They are easy to use and provide quick and accurate results.
- Professional Testing: If you prefer a more comprehensive analysis, consider hiring a professional service. They can test for iron as well as other contaminants.
- Online Purchases: Iron test kits can also be purchased online, allowing you to test your water at your convenience from the comfort of your home.
- Follow Instructions: Be sure to follow the instructions provided with your chosen test kit to ensure accurate readings. This typically includes collecting a water sample and adding a reagent.
Installing an Iron Filter
Installing an iron filter in your home will effectively resolve the problems caused by iron in your water. Not only does it enhance the taste and appearance of your water, but it also protects your appliances and plumbing system, ensuring a healthy and efficient household.
If you suspect the presence of iron in your water supply, don't delay. Explore solutions and safeguard your home today. For more insights and options, consult our complete guide to iron filters.
We're Here To Help You
Don't hesitate to look to us for professional assistance. Our experts at Mid Atlantic Water have been helping customers make the right choice for their home's water problems for nearly 30 years. If you have any questions about iron filters or any other water filtration systems, we're here to help. Contact us however you'd like:
- Text us at 443-277-2204
- Give us a call at 800-460-5810
- Email us at email@example.com.